Thursday, September 06, 2007

Hats-off!
Well, that is what we @ TCS follow as an anual ritual to celebrate the achievement of all associates who have reached a milestone in terms of years of service to the organization - the milestones being 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 years. In short, Long Service Awards. And I was lucky to reach the first milestone (I can hardly believe that 3 years have passed!) in the same year in which the CEO of our organization reached his last celebrated milestone (35 incredible years).

I was there on this Monday (3rd September) to witness the CEO being conferred the certificate by Mr. Nauheer Soonawala (a director of TATA Sons) in the presence of Mr. F.C Kohli, the man who started it all. The moment was filled with joy, pride, nostaglia... a heady mix of emotions. And a thought flashed across in my mind - isn't it a moment like this you work for (I certainly do!).

You may be tempted to think that this is an old school thought, and does not hold in today's scenario when there are opportunities abound. You may also think that I am someone who does not believe in his abilities, or fear rejection from the competitor organizations because I am not good enough. Yes, I am a person with limited abilities, but I know where my strengths are. And certainly, I know how to capitalize on my strengths.

So, I was not surprised when some of my juniors asked me the question - "How did you manage to complete three years in one organization (read TCS)?". And, they were even more intrigued by the fact that I am perfectly happy in the organization after this much time! (Personally, I don't think 3 years is a long enough time to get a long service award. But, looking at the attitude of some of my younger colleagues, it does seem like an achievement!).

For me, the answer is simple. If our CEO can manage 35 wonderful years, can't I even manage 3. Comparisons aside, I think it is all about personal choice and how you look at life. If money is the prime mover of you career/life (I don't think there is any difference in these words @ 25), your focus will always be outside - looking for more money. If you make money secondary (not everyone can afford to do this for various reasons, but in my postion I can) and look beyond it, you are bound to find similarities in your and an organization's values. Fortunately for me, I seem to have found my kind of organization n my first attempt. There are things I like about TCS (that's why I am happy here) and then there are others that I don't (and that's why I am here again - to challenge them and change them). So, it works out to be a win-win situation for me.

Moreover, I would rather do a real long-haul, learn everthing I can and leave it, than do 10 short-hauls and end up nowhere. No matter what others have to say, that's my methodology. The cermony I saw on Monday has only boosted it.

Accept the things you can't change, Change the things you can't accept!

No comments: